Switched by Amanda Hocking


When Wendy Everly was six-years-old, her mother was convinced she was a monster and tried to kill her. It isn't until eleven years later that Wendy discovers her mother might have been right. With the help of Finn Holmes, Wendy finds herself in a world she never knew existed - a world both beautiful and frightening, and Wendy's not sure she wants to be a part of it.

Even though this is one of those series that I picked up cheap ebook format. It took me until the publication of her first book to actually pick up a copy and read it. This saddens me that I waited for so long. I loved the Iron Fey Series by Julie Kagawa. When that series ended I wondered what new one I would be able to jump into that was just as good. This is it.
I found that Switched reminded me of The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff and The Iron Fey Series by Julie Kagawa. There were some similar feel to this story as I got from the other two and the combination worked very well.
I found that I enjoyed all of the characters and their stories. I wanted Wendy to get everything that she wanted. The interactions between the characters was just, perfect timing. She is strong and a fighter, sticking to her gut feelings. I can see why a publisher finally picked up this author. Her writing is just as amazing as all of the popular novels you see in the bookstores and deserves a spot there as well.
Everybody loves a strong lead character and Wendy fits that slot. I am really excited to pick up the new books coming out in this series because the covers are amazing, as is the story. I think the pacing, and that the romance was just enough and does not pull away from the plot.
Even though we did not get to see a lot of her brother in this book, I would love to see more of him, he is a very intelligent and strong character. His love and protection for Wendy is incredibly touching and I would hate to lose their interactions with each other after just a short bit in this first story.

Comments

  1. Whoa, our viewpoints on Wendy couldn't be more different. The things that you said about her, I would never say. This just proves my point about how subjective book reviews can be. Kinda fascinating really. I am glad that you enjoyed the book. I only wish I could have as much as everyone else did.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What do you think?