Bonechiller by Graham McNamee


WELCOME TO NOWHERE.
Danny’s dad takes a job as caretaker at a marina on the shore of a vast, frozen lake in Harvest Cove, a tiny town tucked away in Canada’s Big Empty. If you’re looking for somewhere to hide, this is it.

It’s the worst winter in years. One night, running in the dark, Danny is attacked by a creature so strange and terrifying he tries to convince himself he was hallucinating. Then he learns about Native American legends of a monster that’s haunted the lake for a thousand years. And that every generation, in the coldest winters, kids have disappeared into the night. People think they ran away.

Danny knows better. Because now the beast is after him.
 
Hardcover, 304 pages   Goodreads
Published September 9th 2008 by Wendy Lamb Books  ISBN  038574658X (ISBN13: 9780385746588)

I have to say that I have found a new author that is on my must-buy list. Graham McNamee really knows how to write a suspenseful and gripping story.  This is the second book I have read and I went into it directly after finishing Beyond: A Ghost Story and am looking forward to reading Acceleration next. 

My favorite thing about his stories is the complete ability to engross myself into the novel. The suspense, the emotions and even the setting was completely engaging I felt like I was there. 

The idea behind Bonechiller is based off the legend of the Windigo. Taking place in a very small town and cold winter in Canada. Danny is attacked by a creature in the dark, and soon develops weird symptoms that are connected to past missing children in the area. One of his best friends is also attacked and they soon learn there is a connection to the cold, the creature and each other. 

The writing in the novel was so engaging, it brought creepy and fantastical images, especially in the dream sequences,  and humorous variety of characters. There is a touch of romance and friendships but most of all fear of the unknown. 

This is one of the books that completely freaked me out, but I also wanted to learn more about the Ojibwa Indians and  it also lead to me having some crazy dreams. 

Comments